Monday, May 21, 2012

Philosophy of Learning

When I was in high school, we had one computer for the school and I was enrolled in the first computer programming class the school offered on its TRS 80.  The programming was simple, using DOS to add, etc.  From the one computer in the closet at my high school, I went to the university to take computer programming.  I felt so far behind in the class and I met with the professor to express my concerns and explain my previous technological experience with programming.  He said, “Sherri, you are so far advanced for this course, you won’t know what we are doing until the last week of class.”  He was right.  They were still using punch cards as a way to import data characters.  The last week of class we used all the punch cards to assemble a simple addition program.  From this point, technology has been a part of my educational process. 

As a visual learner determined by Howard Gardner, using technology only enhances my opportunities for learning.  The Internet is the tool that has most affected my education by broadening the resources of information.  The visual activity that is done on the Internet allows me to use my learning style to its fullest potential, even though technology can be used for all learning styles.  Technology allows students a variety of activities to promote learning from auditory learners to kinesthetic learners.  Technology can improve the understanding and enhance the interest of students in a variety of different ways to allow students to experience education in a way that would make them become life long learners. 

I consider myself a life long learner and feel that I have unlimited resources right at my finger tips using technology to enhance my learning experience.  According to the 2011 Horizon Report, technology affects the practice of teaching and learning, as well as the creative process used in learning.  Looking at the future of technology in the next five years, we can see that it will affect our lives in many ways that can only enhance our individual learning experiences. 

Gardner, H. (1999). Intelligence reframed: Multiple intelligences for the 21st century. New York, NY: Basic Books.

Johnson, L., Levine, A., Smith, R., & Stone, S. (2011). The 2011 horizon report. Austin, TX: The New Media Consortium. Retrieved from http://wp.nmc.org/horizon2011/

3 comments:

  1. I too believe that technology has a tremendous potential for maintaining the attention and for motivating students, especially those who are comfortable with more freedom to direct their learning and who learn, as you and I, best from visual and interactive content. However, do you think that technology can be overused (or poorly used) in the classroom in a way that learning is actually hindered? As technology continues to saturate classrooms and education, are there still skills, guidance, and strategies that will still require a live teacher to employ or will it be a possibility that technology can completely take control of student teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherri,
    How did you feel as a learner when your instructor did not provide an example or further explanation of the end product for your high school course? I can see that it makes the course challenging and even spark curiosity, but for me, it would help me understand and learn more to know what I was learning instead of waiting for the last week of the course. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no shortage of water filters on the market today. A top-quality water filter system isn't expensive but can prevent lots of cash within the future. Visit Bioglobe Singapore to shop for the simplest water filtration system for your relations. Investing your money in your family's health are a few things that ought to have it slow and consideration.

    ReplyDelete